Agricultural studies allow for the integration of water (surface and groundwater), soils and the environment. With GCS’ strong background in these sectors, GCS specialists can offer a wide range of expertise to the agricultural sector. GCS has an established history of providing specialist inputs that facilitate a range of developments and the specialist skills required for this work can be and have been effectively applied to Agricultural projects.
Irrigation is a good example of an integrated application of the soils and water spheres. This is especially true for the direction in which agriculture is heading; precision agriculture. There is a drive toward more cost-effectively managed agricultural resources by better understanding one’s available water and soil resources.
GCS has seven specialist sub-units that are well-equipped to provide valuable services to the Agricultural market, namely;
- Geographic Information Systems
- Surface water
- Waste management
- Water resources
- Water use licensing
BENEFICIAL STUDY TYPES INCLUDE:
1. Surface Hydrology – rainfall run-off modelling, storm water control and flood return period assessments.
2. Hydrogeology – assessment of groundwater regimes, aquifer vulnerability and contaminant migration.
3. Conjunctive water use plans.
4. Irrigation scheduling and recommendations.
5. Irrigable and arable area assessments and recommendations.
6. Proposed land-use after decommissioning.
7. Site conditions (fatal flaws and topography).
8. Rehabilitation Planning and Implementation.
9. Agricultural Feasibility Studies – soil and water.
10. Specific Soil Investigations to identify contaminants.
11. Soil Monitoring.
12. Soil rehabilitation.
13. Fertilizer Recommendations.
14. Water Use License Applications.
15. Farm dam advice.
16. Soil Survey, Land-Use and Capability Mapping.
17. Soil, Land-Use and Land Capability Assessments.
AGRICULTURAL SERVICES – GCS PROJECT DATA
|2015||Lingo Investments 5|
|Lingo Water Use License Audit||North West Province - SA|
|2014||Scanza Properties||Dreamland Piggery Water Management Plan||Gauteng - SA|
|2014||Silverlands||Silverlands Agricultural Water Resources Assessment||Zambia|
|2014||Kangra Coal||Kangra Maquasa Soil Recommendations Study.||Maquasa East and West - SA|
|2014||NCCL||Kateshi Estate Phase 2||Zambia|
|2014||Masitu Safari Ltd.||Four Seasons Tented Camp Water Supply||Zambia|
|2014||Agri Africa||Malawi Water Supply||Malawi|
|2014||Amatheon Agri||Amatheon Agri Second Phase||Zambia|
|2013||Kaweri Coffee Plantation Ltd.||Kaweri Irrigation Design||Uganda|
|2013||Silverlands Ranching Limited||Silverlands Hydrogeological Investigation||Zambia|
|2013||Nestle||Nestle Babelegi Phase 3||Hammanskraal - SA|
|2013||NCCL||Olam Integrated Water Management Plan for|
Northern Coffee Corporation Estates
|2013||AGCO Zambia Ltd.||AGCO Irrigation Feasibility study and Groundwater||Zambia|
Agriculture Product Sheet (541.5 KB)