TOPOGRAPHIC DATA COLLECTION – UAV
GCS has partnered up with various industry leading stakeholders for data collection to ensure that the highest quality data to suit our client’s budget requirements and needs are taken care of. The in house expertise ensures that that data collected will be interpreted to useful, useable information by our clients.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) are a recent addition to the geospatial arena in Africa in comparison to the alternative methodologies for obtaining information on surface features. UAV’s have the following distinct advantages:
- Range of UAV platforms available, from fixed wing which have to ability to cover larger areas quickly, to multi-rotor which can spend more time covering smaller areas that require more attention to detail.
- Ability to cover smaller areas quickly.
- Very quick to setup and deploy.
- Cause minimal to no disturbance on the ground in sensitive areas.
- Fast product turn-around times for topographic and aerial image data.
- Multi-sensor capability, enabling us to capture imagery in Red, Green, Blue, Infra-Red and Near-Infrared which leads to a range of spectral mapping possibilities that include vegetation assessment, land-cover classifications and mineral potential mapping.
The following products are derived from our drone based topographic surveys:
- Composite Aerial photography, up to 4 bands (Red, Green, Blue and Near Infra-Red) between 1cm and 10cm’s resolution with an accuracy of up to 8cm’s.
- Photogrammetric Digital Surface Model, and an interpolated Digital Terrain Model.
- Contour data between 2cm’s and 20cm’s.
- Access to the full range of GCS’s cartography capabilities with the above data.